Pages

07 April, 2010

An Ordinary Day!


This is the view from my Home Care Unit, rain or sunshine, day and night! I somehow find it beautiful as you can see, the first layer is indoor, then the second layer which is right outside of my house and in front of the window, and then the street view and the houses opposite to ours. Then, all these change through day and night, under sunshine, clouds or rain. Not too often, you can see someone walk pass or a car drive through. I can also see who is coming and leaving my house. It's lively and quite peaceful!

The guests of the house, Grace and Eddie left last mid-night. Easter holidays end and the kids return to school (starting Tuesday). Esther needs to work today. This should have left me taking care of myself during most time of the day. However, my sister, Irene, won't let me doing so, she reported to the Home Care Unit at 9:00am sharp and stay until 5:30pm. She made me many fresh juices, the lunch, vacuum cleaned my whole house among other minor tasks. Joined by my mom in lunch time, we then end up sitting around the dining table talking about the family history for a couple of hours, covering from 1944 (the year before Second World War is over and when my father arrived in Hong Kong) all the way to 1970 (the year when I was admitted to my primary school). I won't bother to repeat any of those tales here as I know you may not find them interesting. Though, for Irene and me, it's extremely interesting as some of the details we learn it the first time while some other details, there are variations from what we learnt from our father (who left us 13 years ago)!

It's rather normal that constipation is one of the side effects of chemotherapy (actually more precisely, it's the side effect of an anti-nausea and anti-vomiting drug, Ondansetron, which is intended to manage nausea and vomiting, i.e. the normal side effect of the chemotherapy drug, Cisplatin) and in additional to the pain management drug, morphine, which side effect is also constipation. Following the clear guidelines, I have taken in a lot of fluids during the day. Though I still cannot have my poo-poo in the past 1.5 days. So I need to work hard for this today, starting in the morning, e.g. more exercise (in the bed as well as getting up and walking around the house), some tricks that I learn from my mom (as she also suffered from constipation since her colon surgery 17 years ago), meditation (a state of mind to convince my body to cooperate with me to do poo-poo for me), managed breathing (in deep, out deep, in synchronization of the bowel movement), and from time to time, gentle massage on the abdominal cavity, etc. I do hope you don't need to do all these in your life time, but just in case you do need to do it, the key is to do it with great relaxation, do it like you are handling the easiest task on earth. As long as you have the whole day for it, why rush and why push yourself so hard. I know "enjoy it" will be harsh words to swallow, but how about "take it as it is". Remember, one way or another, you need to deal with it, as constipation gets you no where (except the hospital). You do have a choice! Believe me you do!

One little trick I also learn this time, which so far, it seems working is about vomiting control. I took the official medication Ondansetron for the first 1.5 day (i.e. 3 tables in 36 hours). Then, I decided to stop taking it last evening. From time to time, sense of vomiting will come and I eat some Chinese sour & salty plums. It actually works quite nicely! Not sure if it's related, it may have also help the constipation issue today. The reason I mentioned this, is everyday life can be an adventure, for those who are willing to explore. Of course, the result we may not be able to control, and it can go both ways. But the process itself at least worth our effort of trying!

I like sunshine, I like cloudy sky and I like rain. I like day and I like night. I like every minutes of my life as it's part of me and no one can take it away from me. I like the feeling of happy as well as feeling of ordinary. ... ... I do enjoy adventure of life and the process of doing so! Life without adventures, what else do you plan to enjoy? Yeah, adventures can be challenging, but then it's still a lot of fun in it, especially when you reach the other side of the shore. Even you failed the challenge, you can still say, without regrets, I did tried ... and it was fun!   







6 comments:

  1. Life can be simple but yet, without adventure, it will be dull. We should make enjoyment out of things we do everyday instead of taking things for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey consider yourself lucky Matt, you have two 'mothers' and one wonderful and devoted wife, Esther, to fuss over you :-D Enjoy every moment of any given ordinary day brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matthew,

    I have been folowing your blog, but was too lazy to sign up an account to post comments on your blog.

    Seeing your postings are encouraging, and I admire your attitude towards life and challenges. Your spirit has reminded me of Randy Paush, one of my Professors at CMU, he was diagnosed cancer couple years ago. He became very famous becouse of his attitude and the lecture he gave out. Here is the link if you are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo&feature=player_embedded#

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy Paush is great on his Last Lecture. I watched it a few times and bought a copy of his book last Christmas as a "collection item". Keep in mind I did all these BEFORE I got into this incident! Life is interesting and when I was reading/watching Randy, I merely appreciate his courage and now, after I am inside this, more or less the same journey, I echoed with most of what he said, including this Blogger, which I hope my kids (and their kids) can check on it and to understand what I am going through and if there are anything that they can gain from this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I am in rush, doing all those tasks which never stop and constantly changing, running here and there, listening and talking to people... (hhmmm like yourself at one point of your time?)...oh well, I miss some peaceful life. Then when I am having such quiet days without those things, oh well I miss my rushing life. Hahaaha...you're awesome, yeaaaahhh enjoying my "ordinary" lives, rushing or quiet, here or there ...and always be thankful to HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that most of you will know the song called "My Way" and the famous lines are: I faced it all and I stood tall... I did it MY WAY... To me, Life is a continuous learning process... Once you learn it, it will benefit for the rest of your Life... I remember when I was back-packing on Mykonos Island in Greece back in 1993 and I met a Russian guy and taught him how to express himself in English... I told him that you didn't have to say "Would you mind to tell me that what's the time now?" You can just simply said "What's the time now, please?" It serves the same purpose... To cut it short, sometimes, you can just split-it-out about your feeling in a simple way and let the others knows what you want... Like if you just want to tell someone that you do care about him/her... Just say so and/or just tell him/her "I Love You!!!" And I do love you all to be so supportive to my baby Brother... @..@

    ReplyDelete