Pages

08 April, 2010

Knowledge is Power!


Since the day that relatives and friends are aware of my relationship with lung cancer, a lot of information were flogged in. Anything from life styles changes, diets and food choices, treatments and alternative approaches, extra-ordinary skills and people, supernatural powers and senior masters who are still living legendary on this planet Earth, to very expensive/luxurious treatment institutes geographically locating at northern India to Kansas City (USA), in additional to web-links, books, forums and support groups, etc. etc. "Overwhelmed" is the right word to be used here. (*Keep in mind they are all provided with the best intention.) Everyone was eager to help, one way or another. Some were hear says and most of them were "forwarded messages" from the internet. At the beginning, I read every single piece of the information very carefully, as I don't want to miss any chance, not even the slightest chance, of an important information that may help my situation. Meantime, as you can imagine, this can also be a very stressful process to swim through this ocean of information, especially (actually quite a few of them) are controversial, i.e. one say good and one say bad! Then, what do you do? ... Hahahah! You are now back to Square One!

Among other cancer patients, I considered myself very lucky because I worked in the pharmaceutical field my entire professional life (>25 years). I call myself a semi-professional as I am not a stranger to those medical and pharmaceutical terms, actually in certain occasions, I am at an advantage over the clinical staff as they don't have the indepth knowledge of a specific issues, e.g. how long-acting sustained release capsule works, or when will a drug reaches it's maximum blood concentration level, etc. For same background reason, I was able to communicate with the professionals and discuss with them at length my treatment plan, especially the pros and cons, before a final decision is taken. More important, all these knowledge help me to better prepare and appreciate what is going to happen, e.g. drugs' side effects, body reactions, etc. In certain issues, we can actually take pro-active measures to reduce the impact. Knowledge indeed is power! 

It's obvious that I am still unable to control the outcome (though I would argue that I shall be in better position than those that do not have the same knowledge level, at least psychologically)!

Another source of information which I find extremely useful are from other cancer survivors. They are usually practical and almost work instantly. Keep in mind that we may not have the same type of cancer, neither are each human body reacting the same way. From simple suggestion of how to park the car at BC Cancer Agency, to how to make your salad more tasty and with variety, to how to manage vomiting and constipation (and other undesirable side effects), to how to exercise and rest in the day! Most important of all, using their exprience and spirit, they are charging you up with super energy, they are a walking model for you to follow and say "If you think you can, you can ... and this is what we have gone through and ... look at us today!" Simply be with them is already a charging up process, it gives you the power of almost like immediate recovery!

Knowledge is power! Cancer Survivors is super power! I cannot control the outcome, but if I am able to walk through all these and "survive" (and yes I will), I am going to be an active Cancer Survivor and I am going to provide everything I can to make other cancer fellows to live and enjoy everyday of their life!


5 comments:

  1. Yes, Matthew! You’re helping me this “cancer fellow to live and enjoy everyday” when reading your blog. I treat yours as an ‘insider’s guide to cancer’. Your sharing of cancer experience from inside out did turn this frightening knowledge somehow an enjoyable reading experience, e.g. when you talked about the embarrassing issue - constipation and the side effect of medications. You could turn them into a laughing matter especially I am personally ‘enjoying’ some of your experience. Have you thought about turning your creativity & writing talent to publish your own book! I guess Facebook/Twitter can be a good source for book marketing! Hahahaha…just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed confusing when you get too much information or conflicting information. Having lots of fruits and vegetables is probably the safest bet. Slow release Vitamin C daily will help with the immune system...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heman for the complement and encouragement. No matter what I can do to help to make this community a better place to live, and for us to live and enjoy everyday of our life, I am ready to do!
    I am one of the luckiest guy on Earth that I am surrounded with love & care by family and friends. Including Dream-On, as you may notice that she is a cancer survivor now for 22 years, in additional to Pamela, another cancer survivor (Stage 4) for 8 years, etc., who provided me all these insiders' suggestions. Then, numerous prayers and attention received even from those I have not met. What else do I need? What other things should I be looking for?
    Thank you God! Thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to encourage you, but in return you are a great blessing & comfort to me during my difficult time. I don't understand life at times; however I have learned wisdom, kindness, strength, and courage from you. I really appreciate your positive attitude to life. Thank you very much indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowledge is Power! Sharing is more Powerful! I remembered that one of my earliest Interior Design seminars in Wuhan, China around 2002 (I was working as the Colour Consultant for HuaRun Paints in China)... During the break when I came out from the washroom, there's a 20's young designer waiting for me outside and he's so eager to tell me how deep that he was touched by my straight-forward lecture and contents. And he bursted into tears immediately... Like what Matt said: the First-Hand information probably is the Most Powerful Tool to the success of everything... Therefore, I urge everyone of you to simply speak-up and share what's on your mind to help one and others in all aspects in your everyday life without holding back... It can be sooo Powerful and don't under-estimate it!!! Up-to-now, I hope that you guys won't think that I'm trying to over-taking the attention from Matt... In fact, like I said before, I just tack along with Matt and follow his flow... @..@

    ReplyDelete