Pages

05 April, 2010

The (Long Awaited) First Chemotherapy Session!

The below picture is taken this morning at BC Cancer Agency (BCCA). This is also the first day treatment of my first chemotherapy session. Since the last radiotherapy session on 23rd March, and then the consultation with the oncologist on 24th March, I was then basically preparing and waiting for today, i.e. the chemotherapy treatment. There was an educational session on 31st March, provided by a registered nurse, to walk me through those important points and what am I going to expect before and during the chemotherapy treatment process. As my case was considered urgent and therefore I was put into "the urgent wait-list" since 24th March, but a few attempts were made and failed, and today I finally "squeezed in", thanks to everyone in BCCA who are willing to work overtime in public holidays like today!

For those that have not attended any chemotherapy session would find this photo useful. One other purpose to show you this photo is to ease your feeling towards chemotherapy. There are really nothing to be scared of. As long as you are willing to understand and appreciate what is going to happen.

There are three major treatment approaches for cancer patients: Surgery, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy. It is quite common that you will receive chemotherapy as it is a key approach to help control and manage the cancer cell growth, even you have performed surgery or conducted radiotherapy. In short, chemotherapy is a treatment through (chemical and biological) drugs, taken into your body through infusion or orally. Usually, more than 2 drugs will be used, and a treatment cycle goes from 21 - 28 days, and for each patients a 4 - 6 cycles (in total the treatment time will be about 3 - 4 months). What a lot of people do not notice is that you DO NOT need to have the injection everyday. Using me as an example, which Cisplatin and Gemcitabine are used, I only need to go for Day 1 for injection of two drugs, and then again Day 8 for injection for one drug, then rest for 2 weeks, in a treatment cycle time of 21 days. Then, the next cycle starts again. If you notice, basically out of the 21 days cycle, only 2 days (actually a few hours a day) are required for this treatment, and you can do whatever you like in the other 19 days. Consider these your extra holidays!

[*There are quite a few technical information that you may need to digest, especially regarding side effects of drugs and precautions for certain patients, e.g. diabetics, low performance patients, etc. Plenty of information are available and you may find the link from BCCA Chemotherapy Protocols useful. 
http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/ChemotherapyProtocols/default.htm
Don't over-stress yourself to do your own research, as you will be provided with all these essential information at the appropriate time.]

Let's now have a look at the actual scene, and what you would expect when being treated:



The treatment room locates at the 6th Floor of BCCA. It's a very comfortable and homely facility filled with friendly and professional staff. Then, you will be greeted by your assigned nurse and lead to a treatment room. Inside the room, there are a few chairs like the one I am sitting. (*The little pillow on my neck is my private item due to my not-so-straight spine. Otherwise pillows are available there to make you sit as comfortable!) After another detailed information session by your nurse of what to expect during the first day and during the treatment process (content is very similar to the education session), the treatment, i.e. infusion of drugs, starts punctually at 9:00am. You may see in the above photo a few highlights, the infusion is done by a little instrument automatically, it controls the speed of the intake of the drugs and it provides warning sound to alert if the drugs are run low. To show you how BCCA is taking good care of you, it's the warm blanket wrap around your infusion intake point. You feel almost nothing throughout the whole infusion process. Then, it's recommended that you drink a lot of fluids, to help hydrate your body and also to protect your kidneys! What's important here, especially for people outside of Canada, all these drinks, juices, Canada Dry, are free! (Yeah, for medical coverage, it's better to be a Canadian than an American!) You can drink as many as you like! Hahahah!

Depends on different treatment plans, the total time for the process may varies. In my case, it took about 3 hours to complete for Day 1. Then, it will be faster in Day 8 as only one drug will be infused.

The whole process went so smoothly, especially when you are accompanied by family members. In my case, my elder sister, Irene, flew in from London of United Kingdom, who also took the above photo for me accidentally. (*She said she did not remember when she pressed the shutter!) and then of course my dedicated companion who would not allow me to be apart from her for more than 5 steps, i.e. Esther!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that you should undermine the impact of chemotherapy, and it's side effects, the risk of infections, and various damages that it may cause to your body, etc. All I am suggesting here is that if you can have a better knowledge and understanding of what you are going to go through, the better equipped you are. Then, the actual experience is not that harsh while professional organization such as BCCA actually have tried very hard, with every little details in mind, to make you/us comfortable. To make the process even enjoyable!

Life-O-Life ... It can't be better ?!





8 comments:

  1. Matt you are truly remarkable and exceptional! Many people would quiver just mentioning the word 'chemotherapy', but you took it like another routine day in the office! The big smile in the picture is genuine and natural,I didn't have to ask for "c-h-e-e-s-e", hence no recollection of pressing the shutter :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was exactly 22 years ago that I was discharged from my 7 months stay on Floor 6 of BCCA. I had extensive dosage of chemotherapy sessions. Thanks to my family's and friends' moral support, I recovered and am well. You need all the support you can get at this trying time, just as I needed it so much then. I admire your courage and strength, Matthew! Chin up! We shall treat him (cancer) well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choi - Nice picture! Stay strong and enjoy the "vacation", we are all behind you and with you.

    Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. You surely are the same person I met 20 years ago. I definitely can hear your "laughing out loud voice" from this picture. Enjoy your freebies and hope to see more "loud" picture from you.

    I also want to share with you that you were in my dream last night and we met in Hong Kong before you were schedule flying to Taiwan visiting friends, then you would be flying back to Vancouver. You looked taller with a very very straight spine as well as a refreshing look. Also, you were wearing a "sky blue and white jacket" too:) Can you tell me what is mean?

    Good day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "huge smile" is almost identical with the one 20 years ago. I totally hear your laughing out from the picture very LOUDLY! Enjoy your freebie!

    Just want to tell you that you were in my dream last night, we met a short time in Hong Kong before you were scheduled to fly to Taiwan visiting friends then back to Vancouver. You looked very refreshing and taller with a very very straight spine. You were wearing a sky blue with white background sporting jacket too. I think it suits you very well. Think about to get one:) We only have few lines chatting but it's very good. I wonder if you can tell me what is mean?

    Good day!

    *somehow I tried to post previously but it disappeared from the list and I posted again, so if you see two similar posts, dun be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is getting interesting as trying to interpret dream is not easy! Then, dream can become true one day. There were quite a few occasions that I had dreams and then I forgot when waking up and later on when the same settings and situations appear again, I sensed that it happened before and usually it was in my dreams that it happened. (Sounds wired I know!)
    Now come to your dream. I hope it's one of those dreams that will come true, i.e. I recover and return to Hong Kong, to meet my friends, then onward to Taiwan for meeting other friends there before returning to Vancouver. It would be nice if this can happen!
    And thank you for having me in your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering that someone would be interested to film your whole process to share with others needed?! For the last whole month what had happened, I learnt that life can be very meaningful when you're sharing with others... Indeed, it's such a shock for everyone... And if you can be educated in-advance like what we learnt from school as a child and/or from the doucementry film... It'll make the whole experience more at ease...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear uncle Mathew, I first want to say that you are a true inspiration to myself and many others that are following your remarkable journey. I remember when we met last year you had the same positive and loving attitude towards life as you still show today, I now truely believe that you always knew what the true values of life are. ps. Its great to see the same cheeky smile is still there.

    with all my love,

    Alex.

    ReplyDelete