Pages

21 April, 2010

A Life ... I Loved!


This posting is in reply to quite a few of your requests, with the above photo which was taken last evening. Yes, it was my birthday and a wonderful time shared with my family. In anti-clockwise, my Mom, then my sister, Irene from Britain, Joey my brother, then Leo my son, Olivia my daughter and Esther my wife.

You may observe that Irene and Joey's face are (rather) red as between them, they consumed a bottle of red wine. Japanese, especially sashimi and sushi, remain our second choice of food, while the first choice is always Chinese (or more precisely Cantonese)!

You are correct that I am not afraid of death and you are also correct that I am staying very strong and positive in my treatment process, and I would try my best to stay in this direction. Meantime, you are also correct that it is those (Loved Ones) who appear in this photo which will make it hard for me to leave and say goodbye to. Bear in mind that I am only human and I do have emotional attachment to people (and things).

As you have noticed, I am trying to make this process as open as possible, so my Loved Ones know well every step that we are walking through together. They also know well my friend, Cancer, is now going to stay with us and until the day we bid our farewell. We are trying to treat him well and they experience all these first hand, be my trip to the emergency, or my vomiting during eating, etc. I don't think anyone of us like this to happen, but we are now quite receptive and used to it's happening. In fact, I must admit, both Leo and Olivia have grown and now they are sensitive in when to offer their assistance and whenever needed. In short, they are doing okay!

Thank you for all your courtesy and concerns, my family is doing quite okay. Like they say, it is a situation that we don't like but we accept. Important is to face it together, with love we can overcome any challenges ahead of us!

5 comments:

  1. It is such a beautiful picture of you with your beloved family.
    Thank you for sharing your feelings.
    Life is not waiting for the storm to pass. It's learning to dance in the rain.
    Matthew, "YOU ARE MY HERO!"

    Your friend,
    Estherino

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful:
    Life is not waiting for the storm to pass. It's learning to dance in the rain!
    Thank you Estherino!
    (*Kindly note this Esther, or Estherino, is not my wife, although they share the same Christian name.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Matthew,

    Thanks for your beautiful family photo. So lovely.

    Enjoy every moment of our life. Life should be filled up with happiness and smile.

    Stay calm and stand up even during the storm is the real peace.

    Please be strong and please write as good as you can in this blog that works a very good therapy to everyone's hearts.

    Thanks and best regards,
    Ah King

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Professor Chan!!! You're making the journey (this time around) much easier for everyone!!! I don't want to repeat what happened 20 odd years ago when our sister Angela had the Colon Cancer... We'll stay strong along with you and remember, we'll be there with you whenever you needed. Due to the busy (Chan) Bees' schedules, we have to take turns to check-on you from time-to-time. I'm so glad that Esther & you have recruited the two young members in the family, Leo & Olivia, to stand-by (should I rather say work on the team) now. I'm contented that with all our strengths, we can over-come anything in the near future... Don't forget our Superior (Mom), she's very strong & focus this time and you're just a phone call away for any assistance... Hehehe... Love, @..@

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Matthew, a belated Happy Birthday greeting to you from Hong Kong. I'll be back to Vancouver next week. Eric C.

    ReplyDelete