Pages

12 April, 2010

It'a An Emergency Case!


The very first time in this Blogger, I did not write a posting yesterday! (Did you notice?)

Yesterday was a beautiful day! I was feeling tired (fatigue) possibly due to the side effects of the chemotherapy, otherwise, everything was progressing just as normal and just as fine. After the lunch time, which I had my salad with a new taste of dressing (Range), I went to bed but I was so tired that I almost slept through until 5:00pm when Leo and Irene (my sister) were trying to do the backyard lawn. I woke up by 5:00pm to do my Qi Gong and completed by 6:00pm. Everything upto this point was ... normal!

Then, by 7:00pm, after my daily medication of pain-control, I attended to the dinner table again by 7:15pm when the table is ready. Olivia and Esther are already there when I was approaching. I did not have any recollection of what happened, the next thing that I noticed was ... I was already on the floor (of the dinner table) held tight by Esther while the paramedics surrounded me. The paramedics asked me again and again if I was okay and if I would like to check into the (Richmond) Hospital. (*Apparently, I passed out again!) Then, the next thing I was aware of ... I was inside the ambulance going to the hospital with Esther (and the paramedics) next to me. 

From that point onward, I was fully aware about what was happening. They have performed a lot of checks and tests on me (and I am still having my 24-hours ECG with me now as it will need to run until 11:00pm this evening). Other than some blood indicators did not reach the "appropriate range", every thing tested were okay. I was later released from the observation ward back to my Home Care Unit by 11:15pm (11/April, 2010).

Per original schedule, I attended BC Cancer Agency for my 2nd Chemotherapy injection (of the first cycle) this morning. With short notice, the Oncologists consulted me while we discussed at length about what would have contributed to my "pass-out" last evening! There are a few possible reasons, but nothing very concrete, especially in my case. I have had a lot of "cold sweats" (and body shivering) running out of me, which is not a common side effects. It is also possible that my blood pressure may have run up and down drastically, and caused a major deviation between sleeping and sitting/standing and contributed to the "sudden pass-out" while merely standing for more than 10 seconds can be a stress. There are always a third possibility that I did not do enough daily exercise and allowed my body to simply relax (and rest). As result, when my body was asked to stand (to exercise), it did not react properly and caused it to "pass-out"! Etc. Etc.

I am writing this posting to share with you:
1) It's not guaranteed that if you are okay for the morning, you will be okay for the afternoon. Even if you are okay for the afternoon, you will then be okay for the evening. Every moment is different, and we have to deal with it ... well ... differently!
2) You need to take good care of yourself, every little steps, and you must be very self-aware of what is happening to you, and your body, so that you can take good care of it (and to avoid something really bad happening to you).
3) Don't be too agitated if you need to check-into Emergency. Keep in mind that I am a cancer patient and I obviously would need people to take care of. Checking into the Emergency is nothing to be ashamed of (as long as there is a valid reason for doing so).

I do notice that by doing this posting, you may start to worry about me (or even doubting my "strong mindset" may not bring "strong body")! Meantime, I prefer to be honest and straight-forward with you, so that you are better prepared to "deal with" the situation when circumstances arise (like what happened to me yesterday).

Today everything goes well! But like I said, every moment is different, and we cannot treat it the same!


9 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew,
    沒有等到你的Posting讓我不安,我今早去複檢眼睛,我的眼角膜需再費時8個月重新修復,我會努力案時擦葯,直到復原的!保持健康是重要的,我將盡力!你也一樣好好加油!(不知你有沒有看到我的文章了)這個新系統我不太熟!
    好好休息啦!晚安! 別勉強自己,太太會擔心的!
    您的學生 Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what ... I will keep praying for you & your family, Matthew! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering why I didn't see your posting yesterday. It must have been quite a scare for Esther and Olivia. Please take care. You are in my prayers. Don't feel obligated to do posting everyday. Make sure you have enough rest. Your well being is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was aware of not seeing your post yesterday. Then, I thought you might want to post differently coz you always bring us surprise mostly a present one. Now, your posting really brings me a sudden chill and I really really really hope you will take good care of yourself. Take it slowly on everything around you and I'm happy to see just a few words or photos from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had said several times that 'life without challenge is no fun!'
    You and your intimate someones had also mentioned several times that'your move to Vancouver 6 years ago simplified your life' was your right choice or a blessing. (Does this imply you had a rather un-simple life in the past?)
    As well, you maintained to this day a very 'strong mind'!
    Through your 'Hahaha's, undoubtedly you do enjoy life by maintaining a strong mindset, seeking and meeting challenges and funs all the time.

    Have you seriously examined whether you might be overwhelmed by the unawared stresses brought by all the life's 'positives'?
    Are you willing to accept the peace, the tranquility, the joy, the bliss, the blank space of the mind through aimless and effortless relaxation, in other words, a 'neutral' instead of 'strong' mindset?
    The modern day phylosophy embraces the 'positives', but don't forget thinking in terms of what Jesus(真福八端) and Bhudda(缘起性空) had said, and LaoZi and ZhuangZi too, had said about the essence of life.

    Claude

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your postings and this is the first time I write to you. Since Raymond told me your status, I pray for you everyday.

    Raymond encouraged me to write to you but I am not good at writing. Until now like you said every moment is different, I should treasure the moment now, the moment I can write and the moment you can read.

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sheena for commenting here, and to share with other readers your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Matthew, when I heard about your situation end of Jan that really shock me. As the last time we met in early Aug in the centre, you are so strong and by the way thank you so much you gave me a hand in that morning i felt down outside the centre and you taught me to meditate to give the rest to the right leg. Speak frankly i really need time to digest your cancer news . Keep on your positive attidutde but sometimes when you feel your mood is going downward dont worry . All of our emotion going up and down is so normal. Your positive attitude is so encouraging. I believe one day we will meet again. Please send my greetings to your wife and daughter as they are so brave to face the news and walk with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For all of you to know that Olivia has been growing so much for the last 2 months... 'Cos she can joke about the Instant (above) when I was over at Matt's house after my curise on April 12... It's hard to believe that she used to cry easily over certain things and this time, she can take it so well and even talk about it with laughters... Well-done Olivia... @..@

    ReplyDelete