Pages

17 June, 2010

Back Up Plan?

The latest technology has provided us a lot of convenience, as well as efficiency. Things that may take us a long time to accomplish, or even things that we were unable to do, now is only a few clicks here and there. Though, nothing can replace the human brain, especially when decisions are required. Not to forget that decisions would need to be based on knowledge (the depth of knowledge) as well.

I am not really a (sophisticated) computer guy, but I like to learn new things and therefore I try to update myself by browsing through different software and websites from time to time. As a layman, I also play around with the software and learn it issue by issue, or whenever a problem arise, then I will "click around" the various icons in order to find out possible solutions ... without really knowing what solution I can get. I was told by a few computer guys that I am not alone as most of the people at my age (my generation) do exactly what I do, i.e. we learn as we get along!

Yesterday, I was annoyed by those pop-ups on my screen. As a result, I decide to "do something" using the "control panel". After a few clicks here and there, and half knowing the terms that were used throughout the software programs, I finally get rid of the pop-ups while I also get rid of one of the "drivers" of the internet card. I tried to reinstall the "driver" a few times but failed. I finally need to re-install everything, or termed as "reset it to the default settings". The mission is accomplished but I lost everything inside my computer! Gee ... everything is gone!


 Numerous times I was told to do a back-up on my computer. Yet I have not done it as a routine. I am grateful to the latest websites provider, e.g. Gmail, My Blogger, Picasa Photo Album, Facebook, etc. as they kept everything in their servers instead of my notebook's hardware. In other words, most of the information I kept outside of my notebook is still there kept safely for me!

It's a good wake up call for me (and for you?), and like our health, we have been reminded numerous times to keep it well but yet we hear these advises with half heart. When will I learn how to listen to good advises, and when will I start implementing those advises that I agree they are good? Let's start today ... it's never too late!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Bro: You got that right!!! All along I have been giving myself all kinds of excuses NOT to quit Smoking... Until 2 days ago, my Family Doctor told me that it's better to quit Smoking 'cos it's one of the major reason to active the Cancer Cells inside our body... Just for the record, I'm quitting Smoking and my Doctor prescribes the medication called "Varenicline (Champix)" for 3 months... Believe it or not, the first thing I did was giving away my Stock of cigarettes... Good luck on my quitting... @..@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey, that's fantastic news! Good luck brother - keep well and enjoy life! Hey Matt, you might have helped Joey to achieve the impossible ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,

    It's good that you have taken the first step. And always remember "When you think you can ... you can!"

    We are all here to support you!

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear you have lost some of your data. I hope you didn't loose any pictures. You take very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dream On,

    I lost most of the photos taken in 2009/2010, while some of them, thanks to Picasa, were kept safely. For the older photos, it's lucky that I kept them in another hard drive and therefore are kept safely.

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete