Pages

23 March, 2010

Please Welcome My Friend ... Adenocarcinoma NSCLC



My Loved Ones, Family and Friends,

Please join me in welcoming my friend, Adenocarcinoma NSCLC, which I can only called him Cancer the other day. You may still remember that he visited me a few weeks ago but was not very open with me in our communication. Now, I am glad to inform everyone here and would also like you to welcome my friend here. Adenocarcinoma is his first name (cancer cell type), while NSCLC is his family name, i.e. short form for Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. (As shown in the above picture.) He actually belongs to one of the biggest family of Lung Cancer and most people in the field know him well.

As promised earlier, now that he has come forward, we are going to "live with him" and we are going to "treat him well". With these two objectives in mind, soon after the radiotherapy sessions (on my spines), we are going to perform the chemotherapy, possibly by early April, 2010. With my own semi-professional knowledge in the field (in the pharmaceutical side), and also through consultation with a few more experts in the field, we will have to decide which drugs (usually more than 1 but not more than 3), the dose, and treatment cycles that we are going to implement. It is important that one of the selection criteria of the drugs is on it's side effects. (This leads to another major discussion that rather than killed by the cancer, patients are actually killed by the drugs who was injected to kill the cancer.) As the self-defensive system is weak during the treatment, other bacterias and germs, just normal ones, may cause serious fatal infections. Taking proactive preventing measurements seems the most logical thing to do, instead of merely worrying.

After the first treatment cycles, once body condition is stable, it is likely that a second treatment cycle, with the objective to control future growth, will be defined and implemented.

An eight months life expectancy was given in my case, and it's only a statistic number, or like they say "more or less". Quite a few of you are so kind to cheer me up by providing true stories of people, with cancers like me, that have lived many months and years longer than what the doctors pronounced.

What's important, for me, is to accept that now my friend is living with me, he becomes part of me, part of my living. What's important, for me, is not asking how long my life will last, but how to live it to the fullest everyday!

Like some of you commented and suggested, it's also likely that my friend Cancer may come and visit you or your loved ones suddenly one day. Instead of being sadden at the time, why not we try to be pre-prepared for it. Why can't we live the fullest of today, everyday like this is the LAST day of our life?

Good health and God bless!

8 comments:

  1. Matthew. Although this is only my second time that I have commented on your blog, I have however been following your stories and comments with great admiration. Your strength and calmness towards your illness is an inspiration to us all. It just makes us all realize that the minor obstacles we face in life or the petty little things that can make us unhappy is paltry compared to what you are going through. We can all learn from you on how to live life and live it to the fullest, whether it is eight months, eight years, or eighty years.
    We all hope that your up coming treatments will be a success and as what Mr. Spock from Star Trek always says, “Live long and prosper”.

    Ron & Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long and/or Short is NOT An Issue... I totally agreed... One way or the other, we all have to leave everything behind someday... The most important thing is: To live the Fullness and have the Value & Quality!!! As I always say to my clients: "Just be Open-minded!" You'll never know what's going to happen next and you might be suprised with all the Good outcomes!!! Let's cheer for all the goodies that happen to us and put all the saddness behind... Thank you all for the on-going supports to my Little Brother... Love, Joey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matthew
    I was directed to your blog by a mutual friend, Jennifer. 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer ... 2006 was a year of treatments starting with chemo which was successful and then another metastisis this time into my brain which was treated with whole brain radiation again successful. The following years have been focused on rebuidling my health and today I enjoy renewed Vitality and Health similar yet more vital then my precancer life.

    You have a wonderful attitude Matthew. When people ask me about my journey I tell them that Cancer was a Gift ... yes, it was a tough teacher and my life today bears little resemblence to my previous life.
    Gratitude for Life and All that it brings is how I live Life now, today, in this moment with Love & Joy.

    Expect A Miracle

    Many Blessings ...
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina,

    Thank you for the sharing! You energize me and (again) remind me with a positive attitude, with Gratitude for Life, miracle is already happening and we are filled with Love & Joy! Thank you!

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron and Dorothy,

    Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts. And yes, let's enjoy our life!

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Matthew,

    Since I have learned the news from you, the first thing I do after switching on my computer is to check on your blog to see what you discover for us everyday. You gave us a lot of theoretical sources about this type of illness those were gather by the pass research and experience while updating day by day from different perspectives. As it's so special to you and for us, I think you will create another theory about how to "live with it" and "treat him well" treatment. Not only we thank you for bringing such positive attitude towards our life, but also the scientists should thanks for your breakthrough.

    Thank you thank you thank you. Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matthew,
    Living life to its fullest each and every single day is easy said then done! I have seen so many people just spinning wheels everyday and wasting their time away. Yet I have also seen so many people all of a sudden find a new cause to live when face with a life changing situation. What is needed, it seems to me, to jolt people out of the routine live, is to bring people to face the fact that every day could actually be a life changing day to someone, somewhere on this planet. We just don't know about it. The question then is: "Why wait for that life changing day?"

    Live everyday the fullest, it does not have to be the last day on earth. Just live it, period.

    Tung

    ReplyDelete
  8. MATTHEW

    I was informed about your blog, through the local newspaper. My mom also had lung cancer, you have put a different view on how to coup with cancer, and accept end of life. Your a very brave and strong person, this blog helps me in many ways.

    thank you

    Deep

    ReplyDelete