Pages

20 March, 2010

My Life ... Rushing Here ... Rushing There!

Jun, Esther's brother, is returning Hong Kong today after being with us for exactly one week. He is leaving through the Vancouver (YVR) Airport. The picture above, which was taken by me back in 2005, in one of those trips that I made back to Asia (I used to travel quite extensively). This statue locates right inside the passenger zone after you cleared the security. Everytime I went pass it, everytime I was almost laughing at it. Rushing, rushing, rushing ... Life is rushing here and rushing there! Almost non-stop, and we seldom leave ourself time to think (and rethink) some big questions like: What is the meaning of life? What is the value(s) of life? How am I treating my Loved Ones? How would I handle life differently? No matter how much time I have, what do I want to do and to accomplish? Etc.

We often hear people complain about not having enough time to do this or that. Fair enough that there are a lot of other external constraints that prohibit us from acting on issues that deserve priority. Often than not, we like to work on daily small stuff rather than longer term important matters. "It's only human nature!" they said. Then, when you are at my stage, i.e.. when the doctor pronounced that you have X days/months left, you will then take out your ledger of life and check ... What did I achieve? What did I miss? And what will be the stuff that I can leave behind?

I know this is not the first time that you have heard about this idea (and the set of questions). I certainly don't pretend that I am good at it. But I did say this quite often lately: "I have a great life! Surrounded with great Loved Ones, family and friends. I am not trading my life with anyone, including the cancer I am having now. I am happy and I am ready to die even NOW!" And I mean it!

It's weekend time, would you consider just to hold the hands of your Loved Ones, looking them through the eyes and try to feel what they are feeling? Words are not needed, just two eyes on two eyes, a heart connected with another heart! Guaranteed, you will immediately feel the power inside you and your Loved Ones! Try and you will know.

2 comments:

  1. My Dear Professor Chan (Matt): I suppose that I'm "The Black Sheep" of The Chan's Family and I'm always doing things without consenting with the Family!!! In fact, for the last couple years, the more that I've been travelling around... the more that I'll ask myself what's the Value and/or the Reason why I'm STILL Alive!!! Even though I don't have a Beautiful Family like you... I envy you... But, I'm contented... Like you said you don't want to trade your life with anyone... I've been thinking of for the last 3 weeks: if I can trade-off with your Health Condition right now... I WILL!!! It might sound very selfish... 'Cos I'm the one that don't have much to sorting-out in Life... and I can go anytime whenever the day comes... And I really mean it!!! XOX... Always, Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question should be more like: why does it usually take an extrordinary event to make us reflect upon ourselves these questions. And will this "reflection" continue after the event eventuality? Everyone seems to know the answers to these questions we all have heard so many times over the years but how many of us actually follows through and do it?

    Matthew, although at his expense, is giving us another chance to "do the right thing"!

    Thank you, Matthew.

    ReplyDelete