Pages

24 March, 2010

An Art Therapy Session ... On Matthew :-) !


Even some of my close friends and relatives didn't know that, since July 2009, I have been working full time (yes, it's a 35 hours week full time job) in S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Chinese Help Lines as a Coordinator. This is really a joy, not a job! And everyday, with great enthusiasm, I would be dancing and singing to start my work. This job brings me a lot of joys. To name a few:

- It brings meaning to my life, as now on a daily basis and at the front-lines, I am helping people who need emotional and social supports.
- It filled me with life challenges that other people are facing (or have faced) and bring me into deep thoughts of myself and on my own life challenges, only to find out how lucky I am, or how little (insignificant) I am which in return make me feel great!
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S. is a very large social services provider in Vancouver and they are very well organized and well managed. Keep in mind that I have no local working experience in Vancouver, this job brings me a lot of interactions, contacts, resources and knowledge in the field and really opened my eyes! (*For I love to learn and learning is THE most important part of my life!)
- As I am responsible for the training of the volunteers, I would need to read extensively on Basic Counselling Skills, e.g. Carl Rogers' Empathy, etc. This process in return, help myself going deeper into my soul and ask myself: The Meaning of Life, The Values of Life, The Way(s) of Life, etc. Be sensitive that for a semi-retired person like me, finding  meaning of (daily) life is a very difficult task, if not at all impossible!
- Last but not least, this job gifted me to meet and work closely with some 80 active volunteers. They are of a vast background and origins. They are from Hong Kong, Taiwan and China, from students to retired person, from taking a bus to driving luxurious cars, etc., but they are all beautiful people with a beautiful heart! Their dedication simply energizes you everyday. Positive energy everyday!

Starting early February, 2010, my body condition didn't allow me to work routinely. My (health) news later was informed and the volunteers start to express their care and concerns. The management then wisely decide to conduct an Art Therapy session, to allow the volunteers to "share their feelings and blessing to Matthew through the use of their creatives"! The picture above is the drawings that they have done on 22nd February, 2010 (Monday). You may see a lot of flowers, rainbows, sun and sunshines, hearts, a vase labelled "Power for you", a school bus, a fighting stage, and words such as "New Life", "Happy Rebirth" ... and simpy "Matthew We love you"!

I LOVE YOU TOO! ... (And keep the smile on your face please!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew,

    You may not have realized it yet, but you already brought us closer together. You have taught and shown us how to really be more than we can be.

    You reminded me of a bible verse - 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

    I can see how our Lord's power is totally shining through you right now. Thank you for your love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Matthew,

    Although I've learned of your blog a couple weeks ago, I never had a chance to sit down in front of my computer at home to pay you a cyber-visit. Tonight, I finally made an effort to read through your entire blog and all the posted comments from your friends and loved ones. If I say "Matt, you have courage", that would utterly be an understatement. Your open approch to share with us your feelings and thoughts, in spite of your suffering, have led us to realize how fortunate we are and how precious and fragile life really is. Matthew, I can see that God is working with you. He is employing you to send us His gracious messages. Thank you, Matthew, you are undeniably the Morrie in Mitch Albom's book. Take care, my friend. Eric Chan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric,

    It's 4:41am that you posted this comment and this (extra) observation makes me feel even more energized and encouraged by your kind words.

    I pray everyday:
    God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

    Thank you Eric! Thank YOU all!

    ReplyDelete