Pages

26 March, 2010

My Master ... Why You Still Whipping Me?



Some of you know that I love history and museums and therefore I visit almost every museum I can wherever I go. I spotted this Chinese Calligraphy at the National Museum of Korea ( http://www.museum.go.kr/EngMain.do ) in Seoul of South Korea.

The Chinese read as:
老牛用力已多年
領破皮穿
只愛眠
泥耙已休
春雨足
主人何苦又加鞭

To translate into English (by me):
For many years, this Old Cattle's been working hard
Wearing a broken skin
Sleeping the only enjoyment


The rake is now at rest
With abundant Spring rain
My Master, why you still want to whip me?

My feeling after reading this is: Life is so interesting! An old cattle who have been working very hard in his life. He didn't really expecting much in life, possibly just some basic living essentials. His desire is as simple as a steady and peaceful daily life. Yet, Life-O-Life, although the circumstance is calm (rake at rest) and even no need to act (with abundant Spring rain), The Master of Life, still would like to provide you with life challenges (to whip you), and to drive you further and trying harder!

Do you feel the tension between what you want life to be (simple, calm and peaceful) and what life is driving you (with challenges)?

I used to share the philosophy of the Old Cattle and was wanting and working for just a simple life (and I achieved by settling down in Vancouver 6 years ago). Only then to reflect and conclude that "Life without challenges is no fun!" and case-in-point, if I am not challenged by cancer, I may not be able to discover, understand and appreciate all these love and care from family and friends. Even better, if you may observe the process that I am going through, so that YOU are able to discover, understand and appreciate all these love and care from family and friends WITHOUT being challenged by cancer (or others)!

My Master, thank you for whipping me and please continue to do so! Life is an enjoyment!

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Matthew,

    I chanced upon your blog from a friend's link. Although we've never met in person, you've been an inspiration to me. After reading your musings on life, I have learned to really LIVE and CHERISH life. You are incredibly upbeat and optimistic individual. Good for you! I am sending you and your family lots and lots of positive vibes. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan! Let's LIVE and CHERISH life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still remember the day you showed me this, in Shanghai, after one of your business trips to Korea! How time flies! But I treasure those times I have been able to work alongside you have the honor to call you "my friend"!
    Yes, life has dealt all of us many curves and this is just another one that made it so interesting and worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life-O-Life... There's an older lady whom I had lunch yesterday and she's so amused that why I could talked to the 16 years old boy next to me for so many different things... I told her that 'cos I love to share my knowledges & experiences with others so that they can get inspired... You'll never know... One day he will be doing the same to others!!! That's exactly what Matt has been doing in this blog. I'm so glad that you emmigrated to Vancouver 6 years ago so that we can spend more time together with your family and mom... Love, Joey

    ReplyDelete