Pages

17 March, 2010

Cancer (My Friend), Thank You For Coming and Let's Talk!

Dear Cancer,

How are you doing today?

Without prior notice, you visited me unexpectedly a few weeks ago and have changed my routine since then. Using MRI and CT-Scan, you are seen everywhere in my spines and skeletal bones. However, even after drainage, bronchoscopy, and needle biopsy, your type cannot be confirmed although it's highly probable that my lung is the first location that you visited (and then you also visited other organs). You know very well that without your cell type, it is not possible for me to decide the "treatment plan" with you. In other words, if you don't open up yourself and let me understand you better, I will not be able to "treat you properly"!

Yesterday early morning, with the objective to "treat you better", I decided to seek second opinion from another friend of mine. He was very disappointed about what you have done and immediately referred me to BCCA (British Columbia Cancer Agency) where I believe you know this place well. This afternoon, I arrived in BCCA and conducted my first Radiotherapy. The main concern is that you may have damaged my spines. And if your free-will acts continue inside me, it's highly likely that you are going to cause me irreversible damage and leave me paralyse. I do understand that there may not be a specific reason for you to choose me. I do understand that you may not even want to do this for me, nor to cause me all these damages. However, with all facts now in front of us, I think the most sensible way is for us to sit down and talk about it, in order to seek compromise and solution to the issue. I don't want to eliminate you totally (I know I can't) but I also don't want you to eliminate me (though I know you can)! Like many other scenarios in life, can we not at least LEARN how to live together harmoniously? You can have me and I can have you ... This is a better feeling than you defeated me, isn't it?

Cancer, my friend, I do understand sometime you cannot control yourself, espeically your growth. People misunderstand you as always the "bad guy", and nothing in you is good! If they can pause and step back for a while, they should be able to see the bright side of you. You wake us up when we are spending our time in meaningless daily routine. You remind us the (current) life is of finite nature. You usually enrich us and seek higher level of life values. You teach us how to treasure the precious time we have with our loved ones. (... ... And this can go on and on.) It's certainly true that you can also take our life, but life without meaning, life without values and life without love and care, why would I be bothered if you take my life?

Actually, Cancer, I want to thank you that since your visit, I have observed some fundamental changes to my loved ones. My wife is distressed but getting stronger and stronger each day. My boy is managing his emotion very well and my girl, though may go up and down, is gaining maturity. You help me educated them (so early) and prepare them for bigger life challenges in the future. Thank you! Thank you for coming!

We can talk anytime at your convenience and yes, please take special note that I am ready to "live with you" and I am going to "treat you well"!

Yours, Matthew

4 comments:

  1. Dear Cancer, friend of Matthew,

    I also like to thank you for giving us all a wake up call to life, to start doing more of the "right thing" in life, like loving our loved ones more appropriately and passionately (and not paying lip service to it all as you can come any day and slap us for not behaving).

    But I am not as rational as Matthew. I am more of the emotional type here and I plead you to be more lenient in your persuit of these lessions and choose your subject with a little bit more carefully. And please treat your friend with respect and dignity (like we all should) and let Matthew comes to terms with you with more understanding. And as well, you should be more transparent in showing your true self to us so we can decide on a "plan" for you.

    Cancer, thank you for cooperating.

    Regards
    Raymond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cancer

    You know everyone, just havent have a chance to visit all of us.

    Though you dont know Matthew that long, he is such a great guy, be gentle on him and show him who you are and let works together frendly.

    Regards

    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cancer (sometime I ask God the same question), how do you choose your target? We are told that God has mercy, and yet we see terrible things happen to good people! Young people who have no chance to experience life; good people who could have contributed more to this World; but were targeted by you! And yet somehow murderers stay healthy and alive in prison, complaining they are being treated badly!

    Please don't get me wrong, I do believe that God does work in a mysterious way. So please help me understand how! Same to you Cancer, please don't pretend that you are God, cos we know you are not! As you can see, Matt is a very understanding and kind person, please show him who you are so that he can treat you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear everyone... (Cancer, you're inclusive): All along in Life, I know, there're Good & Bad Guys out there... And they do things for a reason, right?! I'm sure that everyone might think that whatever they're doing... Even though, I will say 99% we all think that we're doing the right thing... Bear-in-mind that there's still that 1% your decision is WRONG!!! Therefore everyone of us, in particular of you... Cancer, there might be that 1% chance you visit Matt. in the wrong place and in the wrong time... I beg you and please think twice... Yours, Joey

    ReplyDelete