Pages

29 March, 2010

Happy Birthday! Joey, Happy Birthday!


Today is Joey's birthday! Joey is actually my elder brother, but it's so funny that ever since that we are grown ups, whoever we met together will guess it wrong, i.e. I am the elder boy of the family while Joey's the younger. I seldom defend this fact as even I myself sometime find it difficult to believe so. Look at the picture and you would agree, such a young, handsome and almost movie-star like appearance, in contrast to my more mature, less handsome (though still smart enough) and ordinary poeple like appearance!(Hahahah! I am neither bitter, nor humble, it's just an objective observation made!) You have to see to believe his skin, always the same as if he was at 25 years old. Actually, if you watch FairchildTV in Sunday mornings, which they re-broadcasted some TV episodes in Interior Design that Joey was filmed about 10 years ago, you will check that he didn't really change much.

Joey's life style is very different than mine (keep in mind that we share the same parents)! He is still single, an artist (and a famous Interior Designer), and a work-hard-play-hard living attitude! He treasures his friends (and his friends treasure him a lot) passionately and the friendship with him usually last for a life! He struggled with the traditional education in Hong Kong when he was a teen. But since the day he decided to be an interior designer, as early as he was 17 years old, he worked so hard for his (life) objective and today, being his brother, I am so proud of him that other than being famous in designing luxurious houses and commercial projects around in Vancouver, Hong Kong and China (and won quite a few Georgia Awards with constant media coverage), he also accepted and fostered a few challenges, projects like a golf course, a hotel, a furniture chain-stores, and a line of paints under his name. His latest project is in designing an island into a "living zone" with a top University in Shanghai, which obviously need to put talent, intellectual and practical designs together. After some years of encouragement from me, he is compiling some of his works into a book which shall come out in Summer 2010. (Those who want to have a copy need to line up now!) He is also a frequent contributor/lecturer in Beijing Qing Hua University (or also known as Tsing Hwa) and various other universities in topics of interior design.

Is God fair? A lot of people asked. Being borne by the same parents, grown up almost the same environment but yet Joey and I have such a different life path! [Oh no ... don't get me wrong, I am very happy with what my life have been, what my life is and what my life will be (including the challenge I am currently facing) ... very happy indeed!] People usually (ONLY) see the successes of results in others, they often missed those tremendous efforts that one put in throughout the process of striving for results! In the case of Joey, my dearest and only brother, he needed to keep his head low when my father disagreed with his career choice of being an interior designor. He worked extremely hard during the day as an office-boy, took the evening classes and slept about 2-3 hours a night as those homework were usually time consuming. He walked 30 minutes through thick snow to attend his classes in order to save money. He never wasted a tiny piece of food (also to save money). Remaining professional, he put his feelings into every projects that he handled, dedicated in his design ideas and seldom compromise with the customers, and often even upset the owner of the project (who said "the customer is king"?). More, he took his customers as friends and family members, so that he can understand their needs better. He continues to travel around the world, keep his eyes and mind wide open, in order to learn everyday new design ideas. In my opinion, God is always fair, especially to those who take life passionately and know clearly what they are doing and what they would like to achieve (in life)!

God, thank you for assigning me to be the younger brother of Joey!

Happy Birthday! Joey, Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

  1. hehe.....Many many happy returns Joey! Age is only a number, I stop counting after 35! Lots of love X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Matt, my little brother: I couldn't beleive that you can summarize my Life in just three paragrahies, well-done! No wonder you're the "Professor Chan!" Like I said before, I'm always the Black Sheep in the family... I've never really listening to our parents' advices. Instead, I just follow my heart and do & design things with passion... Keeping an Open-mind is always my saying to my friends & clients (if they still remember) and the outcome is somewhat unexpected well! =) Therefore, I beg everyone that give your loved-one more rooms & spaces to grow & breath. At the end, it will be all just Happy Endings!
    Love to have you & Irene as siblings and if I can choose, I would love to do it over & over again... Hugs & Kisses, Joey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew, although we haven't officially met, reading your blog, I feel endeared and close to you. We live across the street from each other for 5 years and just casual polite waves of hello, who knew that we are neighbours in life and but also, neighbours of the same aliment.
    I particularly like this blog because it touches true of my family also. I am the youngest of 6 children, and the only one to be hit with this diease. Some people have asked me if I felt anger or resentment that none of my other siblings or sisters have what I have and why me? My answer was and still is, why not me? My siblings are caring and nuturing and I know will always stand by my side. Thank the Lord for siblings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy,

    You left your comment on this posting on 29th March, 2010, which not many readers are going to read about it (due to they usually make comments on the latest ones).

    Your positive words touched me, as a cancer fellow, i also heard a lot of people like to ask all sorts of hypothetical questions, which to me needn't be answered (or merely they bear no answers). Rather we should simply hold our heads up, walk tall, and enjoy our everyday (or at least to spend our energy in living our everyday better)!

    Let's stay strong!

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete