Pages

07 May, 2010

Sweats ... Listen to Your Body!


Today is my fourth day on the new drug Tarceva. Yesterday I felt some stress on my right kidney and also the left chest (attached to the skeletal ribs and muscles). Then, in different times of the day, when I was resting in bed, sitting, and especially when I was eating, I had a lot of sweats. The sweats just come out without any pre-warning. Like what I described yesterday, the sweats were more like dripping of water and made everything it passed soaking wet. The blood pressure was checked during those times and they were usually okay (low 70-80 to high 105-115 range), while the heart beat rate usually on the slightly high side, i.e. >90 or even >100. Body temperature would be normal 36.3'C to 37.8'C. Then, 5:30am this morning, I woke up with whole body wet, from head to toe, from front to back! Everything was wet ... wet with sweats!

As I got this "sweating" issue for almost two months now, which I also reported to the doctors in BCCA, so far, all can be said is "You situation is unusual! The sweats are probably cancer related, and it may not be a bad thing!" Do you understand this comment? Or if this comment bring you any "useful information"? I also checked through the internet and through various professional websites, the National Cancer Research Institute in US and similar one in UK provided some good food for thoughts, but mostly it's pointing to the direction of hormonal related, especially in breast cancer and prostate cancer. In my case, I am lung cancer and migrated to spine and other organs (unless it is a signal that my cancer migrated to some hormonal organs).

No matter how advance our medical sciences are today! There are always something that we cannot comprehend (and thus no firm conclusion to be drawn). We must also understand that each individual is indeed different, their body system as a whole is similar to one another, but yet they are different as an individual and obviously, different individual reacts differently to both inside and outside factors.

What's important (or even critical some time) is that we need to take good care of our body. We need to respect our body, listen carefully to him/her. A few days ago, in my Facebook wall, I wrote: "Your body has been working for you all these years, when did you thank him/her?" More often than not, we take it for granted that our body is part of us and we did not even want to pay attention to her/him. Or usually until it's too late then a more drastic signal to be sent, e.g. cancer, stroke, heart failure, etc. Then, like they say, it will be "a little too late"!

Everyday, take a moment to communicate with your body and try to listen to your body, especially if there are anything that you may need to do for your body. Serious problem usually starts and comes from simple and minor indications. Like a lot of disasters in human history, if we are careful enough and pay sufficient attention to the little signals that we were provided, disasters can be avoided and many lives and Mother Nature can be saved!

Take good care of yourself and your body!

2 comments:

  1. Hi again Matthew,

    With regard to your "sweats", one resource that I found invaluable were the folks at GRACE (http://cancergrace.org/) - try searching for "sweating" and read a few of the conversations between the oncologists and the general public. If you can't find anything there, feel free to describe your situation and ask questions! They are a great bunch, so much so that I even started volunteering a bit of my time to help them out.

    The other thing is look up Tarceva/erlotinib - they have some great information and I hope that you are EGFR positive. Although my mom wasn't, there are still some good options out there (Wed was the start of our 2nd cycle of Cisplatin + Gemcitabine at the BCCA - so far so good).

    Take care Matthew.

    Kind Regards,
    Matthew T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew,

    Thank you for the information and it's great that you start contributing to the community. Wishing your mom every best in the recovery process.

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete