Pages

27 July, 2010

You Should Write Your Story ... Cause Someday You Will Die!

Under the encouragement of a lot of you, the readers of this Blogger, friends and friends of friends, I have started preparing myself in writing a book. So as you may imagine correctly, I borrowed a few books from the library and also started doing my desk research (i.e. Google). One of the book, named "The Autobiographer's Handbook" edited by Jennifer Traig is a good reference and it is filled with advises from various writers. Right at the beginning, in the introduction by Dave Eggers, when he discussed why one should write a memoir, he cut right at the point, he said "You should write your story because you will someday die, and without your story on paper, most of it will be forgotten." Hahahah! I can't help laughing as this statement is precisely why (or at least one of the three main reasons) I started this Blogger, i.e. to allow something tangible for my family and friends to hold on when I am no longer around them.


It continues and almost towards the end of the introduction, it quoted a paragraph.

... There is no one in all the world toward whom I have an unkind thought, and I trust I have the good will of all mankind, and I have been blessed with some kind friends, whose faithful affection has made life worth living and very beautiful. ...

I live for those who love me,
For those who know me true;
For the Heaven that smiles above me,
And awaits my coming, too.
For the wrongs that need resistance,
For the right that needs assistance,
For the glory in the distance,
And the good that I can do.

There are a few chapters in this book which I specially enjoyed reading, e.g. Writing Through Pain, the Appendixes, etc., while the last sentence of the book is very encouraging, it says "We thank you for listening to us as we wait to listen to you." Okay, let's start the writing then!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matthew,

    Nice to hearing your good news and being back to normal.

    Everyone's life is really a book of us and others. Let's write it beautifully.

    Cheers,
    Ah King

    ReplyDelete