Pages

05 July, 2010

Yesterday Was A Sunday!

It was cloudy and outside temperature was a little low, though still comfortable. Esther needed to go downtown for a performance, so we got up, had our breakfast and traveled to China town. The performance place is quite special. It locates on Columbia Street, between East Pender and East Hastings, right in the door step of Yin Ping Benevolent Society, as yesterday, it was their 90th Anniversary and therefore the performance.


It's after noon when they started the Chinese dancing program. It's very interesting that when they were performing the Chinese Opera (people singing the Chinese traditional songs), there were not many audience, and as soon as the Chinese dancing program started, the audiences gathered around, and the tourists started to take out their cameras and camcorders to take photos and videos. I also observed that there are some visitors who might have traveled long distance to join this event.

When Esther's performance was near the end, Olivia and I walked back to the car-park and at the corner of Columbia Street, there was a guy painting on the wall.


He simply used some brushes and some simple tools and without sketches he painted very well on the walls. Next time when you are around in Columbia Street, I would assume his works would have finished and you can take some good photos of them. They are quite nice.

Then, we returned to Richmond while some friends were waiting and we had lunch together. After the lunch, I went for an afternoon nap and by the time I woke up, it's about time to attend the evening mass. I totally forgot my medication (pain-killer) and therefore we rushed back home after the mass, took the medication before we went to the restaurant to join everyone for the Sunday dinner. It's very nice to learn everyone has enjoyed their week, spending outdoor camping, fishing trip and overseas visits, and sharing of their great moments during the trips. Life is about sitting among friends and listening to their enjoyable moments. So nice!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to learn that you can now enjoy a normal Sunday morning with the family!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Sunday now is anotehr day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends directed me to your beautiful site, Matthew, mentioning that you quoted from my memoir "Not Yet". Thank you for building a bridge to my work. Busy writing my new novel to meet a deadline, I can now only peruse a half dozen of your entrees. I focused on the family ones - and what a strong and caring family you have Beyond those who are clearly of your own blood relations, and adopted as I was, to me, "family is who loves you". Buddha said, "Be where you are; otherwise, you will miss your life." And so, in all your joyful sharing of the daily and ordinary pleasures that matter, you reflect a full and contented life. Your words inspire many to feel included in your philosophy of living a good life, to be "family" with you. I look to your living example with much respect. You know the ten thousand blessings. If I may - to you and all your family - with admiration and affection, from your fellow writer,
    Wayson Choy
    Toronto

    ReplyDelete