Pages

10 January, 2011

Update After Surgery

The surgery in Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) went well between 8:00 p.m. of Jan. 7th to 1:30 a.m. of Jan. 8th. The doctor had originally wanted to perform the micro-precision surgery, but unfortunately that was not possible and I had to go with the "traditional" way of the surgery. The difference between the two is the size of the seizure width.

I was out of the surgery early in the morning, but I was having some issue and was not transfered back to the ICU until around 6:00 a.m. In the past two days I continued my journey to learn and being educated about how to "breathe" and how to "just relax and breathe naturally" When we breathe everyday and every hour, we never realize how we breathe. For example, using mouth in, mouth out, nose in, nose out, or nose in and mouth out, should we have deep breath or not, like in Yoga or in Qi Gong.

Today I have made some good progress but a few procedures are still required to make sure that I can swallow naturally. We will continue to work with the professionals.

The spirit remains strong. (why not?) Thanks to you, and everyone out there who showed me and my family your support, care and love.
Thank you very much!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Matthew,
    Glad to hear that you have good progress on your surgery. Keep up you strong spirit and I will follow your attitude too. Thanks very much for your update and take good care of yourself once again. Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work!
    We are all with you on this one, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Matthew, the message below is from my daughter....

    Hi Uncle Matthew,
    Sometimes I wonder why these things happen to good people, but I guess that’s life. It amazes me how you are so optimistic about all the things you have been going through, you are truly inspirational, strong and motivational. Dad tells me about you, how you are such a smart, genuine and caring person and I can surely see it for myself. I still remember the first time I met you, it was when I was in the hospital in Vancouver after my skiing accident. When you came to visit me, you brought me a book and cookies and waited for me to come back from one of my check ups. When I came back from my check up, I was so surprised to see you there waiting, for someone I barely knew and have just met for the first time. I am so happy for my dad to have met someone like you; you are a wonderful friend to my father. Also, you told me to keep skiing even though this happened to me. Your words didn’t just imply that I should continue to ski, but it also tells me that no matter what failures you encounter in life, you can keep going and stand up again. Keep your head up Uncle Matthew and keep fighting, I am praying for you.

    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see the peacefulness in your writing, it is obvious that God is with you. Thank you for teaching us how to appreciate life. Will keep you in my prayers.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you all.

    Best regards,
    King

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matthew,
    Our prayers never stop. Glad you are back to this blog.
    Sheena

    ReplyDelete