Pages

16 December, 2010

Superficial Treatment ... Actually!

On 13th December, 2010 (Monday), consultation was arranged to meet with the radiologists in BCCA. They checked on my chest pain (on the right side) as well as other complaints that I had in recent weeks. They immediately ordered one round of radiotherapy for me. Keep in mind that my appointment started only at 2:45pm and the whole process completed by 4:00pm. I considered this very efficient and again I was treated like VIP.

A new term I learned this time is "superficial". Radiation therapy aims to maximize the number of cancer cells destroyed, while minimizing the damage to nearby normal cells. As low energy x-rays do not penetrate very deep into the body and transmit most of their energy into the skin. These low energy x-rays are often called superficial or orthovoltage x-rays. In my case, using superficial rays can kill cancer cells inside my ribs (near the surface) and would not harm my organs underneath. I am sure you know what "superficial" means traditionally and generally. When I heard the radiologists said "we are going to use the superficial treatment on you", I asked "Superficial?" He replied positively and affirmatively. (Hahahah!)

Now 4 days after the superficial treatment, I am feeling better and stronger. Compare with the last radiotherapy (also my first) back on 18th March, 2010, rather than a square shape with a few crosses for aiming accuracy. This time, as you can see in picture below, is a 18 x 10 rectangular shape and a dotted line at the bottom. After setting the machine and the body at the proper position, the radiation process itself took ONLY 2 minutes and I was done for this time. Unlike last time, which I need to return every day for the week!

The whole treatment left me with an impression ... well ... quite superficial! But I certainly hope Mr Cancer - My Friend is being treated well this time. The chemotherapy will start next week and I will be using a different drug. Stay tuned and I will share with you more new terms that I learn in the process!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment