Pages

20 November, 2010

The First Snow in Vancouver!

Thursday (18/Nov) evening, I was outside in a meeting. When I was driving home, some wet snow was falling. We guys in Richmond usually get the last scene of snow and I was thinking there must be snow on the ground outside of Richmond. Then, the next morning (19/Nov), one can actually see in the news, it was not so bad, just a little cover in white, and I must admit it's beautiful!

Then, last evening (19/Nov), the wet snow came again and you can feel a little colder when walking outside. I slept early last night and when I woke up this morning (20/Nov), the ground was covered with 5 to 6 cm of snow. Now, to me or to guys in Richmond, it is the first snow this winter! (*Why "first" needs to be so special? Hahahah!)

At a distance, a group of children came out to the little slope in the park. The laughter and high peak sound proofs that they are enjoying their time. There is little traffic on the road inside our block, though you would still see people going out walking with their dogs and delivering of newspaper. All the houses, trees and lawns are covered in white, some of them start melting already. It is now a clear blue sky with white clouds. Reflected on the snow on the ground, it makes everything much brighter. The birds of the busy morning disappeared and I can almost hear my own breathe and heart beat sound. It's such a beautiful picture and life is so peaceful!

  
[This photo is taken by Mr William Yeung.]

3 comments:

  1. Matthew, more snow is on its way tonight and tomorrow, are you prepared? To answer your question of why is "first" so special ... because it signifies the begining of an important or meaningful event. This is a start and an inauguration, not an end or a closure. Matt, you must still rememeber your first love, first kiss, first baby, first driving lesson, etc. How sweet and memorable they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric,

    I would assume a lot of people agree with what you said above ... and then I am thinking ... and thinking ... how about the "last"? They should be as memorable ... and may be more memorable than the "first" ... ...!? (And smile please!)

    Yours, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew, I would say, they are of equal importance. If there is no "first", how can we have a "last"?

    ReplyDelete